June 29, 2009

eureka (I hope)

For the past few hours, I've been having a frustrating time trying to wrangle what should be a few simple paragraphs at the end of a chapter.
I have the ideal writing environment. No distractions. I haven't been procrastinating, for once. But let's just say it hasn't been flowing. So, after an internet search to find comforting tales of other writers in my position, I found this quote, and bingo, it nails my problem:
"I've often said that there's no such thing as writer's block; the problem is idea block. When I find myself frozen--whether I'm working on a brief passage in a novel or brainstorming about an entire book--it's usually because I'm trying to shoehorn an idea into the passage or story where it has no place."
(Jeffery Deaver)

Hooray. So with that nugget, I'm going to call it a night.
p.s. have you ever heard people say that they have solved story problems in their sleep, by writing out or articulating the issue before going to bed? Well, I'm trying it tonight so wish me luck.

No comments: