October 22, 2009

Just Do It

Greetings, friends:
you know those days when the hours just blend together and fly by so fast that you forget to eat? Well, I had one of those yesterday. I had a marathon meeting on one of my projects that was so much fun I didn't notice that five hours had passed...I love it when that happens. It probably had something to do with the fact that I wasn't alone in my office all day like I normally am, plus the fact that I didn't have a chance to go online at all.

After that I dashed to the complete other side of town to get to the Echo Park Library for my Teen Read Week event with fellow YA authors Anna Hays and Michael Reisman. Thanks to the fabulous Wendy McPherson, YA librarian extraordinaire, we had 75 people attend the speaking portion of the event, and 18 of them stayed for the workshop that followed.

I love these kinds of events. I love the enthusiasm of the attendees, and it's always a great way to give back, to let others know, no matter their age, that they can do this, too. They can write. They have something to say. The key is to stick with it and to form a habit. And the way to form a habit is to be consistent, even if it's in 20 minute increments. Chances are, you'll get more done in 20 minutes than you think you can. It's like training for a marathon. You don't start with 26 miles. You start with 1. And when you're ready, you take it up to 2. Maybe a few days later you'll even be able to do 3 miles. The point is, this is how you form a habit and eventually you will make it to 26 miles. Or a finished mansucript.

On another note, I came home to poor Rocky still grappling with his foot rash. And you know what that means? It's back to the socks for the Big Sweets.
He's now a walking reminder to, that's right, JUST DO IT!
And with that, I'm off to do just that, which means see you later, interweb!
x J

1 comment:

Suzanne Young said...

OMG! Seeing those socks on that dog just made my day. Sorry his feet hurt, but dang. It's SO CUTE!